Trying to figure out what your New Year's resolutions should be for this year? If you're in the digital advertising business, we have some great suggestions for you!
We have jumped into the new year, and it’s worth taking a few minutes to think about how you’re going to ramp up your digital advertising efforts in 2019.Digital advertising can be powerful and complex. With so many digital media services, data points, and options, it’s easy to get into the weeds day in and day out and forget that at the highest level, advertising is simply communication between a brand or company that provides a solution to a customer’s challenge or need. The beginning of a new year is a great time to zoom out and evaluate your big picture goals.
Here are three resolutions to drive revenue and make 2019 your best year ever:
Resolution #1: Be BFFs with your (and your client’s) target audiences.
The essence of any good digital advertising campaign is to identify the specific characteristics of your ideal customers. The more you know about your audience, the more powerful your digital advertising efforts will become.
Revisit your target audience definition and keep learning about the challenges that your current and future clients are facing.
Your investment in advertising is, after all, focused on motivating your customers. Over time their wants and needs change, so it’s imperative to check in on how you define your target audience to make sure that you’re aiming for the right audience to move the needle for your business.
- Do market research to get as many details as possible about the group you’re targeting, which you can use to build personas.
- Leverage digital advertising methods to reach your target audience by tailoring the content to buyers on the basis of their location, online presence, demographics, and behavioral traits.
- Refresh your data, pitches, and information according to each of the local markets that you cater to.
Resolution #2: Refine your digital advertising game to increase your revenue.
Make data-driven decisions by looking at your 2018 trends and reports.
Adapting and adjusting your advertising strategy to conform to what your data is suggesting is the best way to go. Sometimes the biggest obstacle to progress is our own confirmation bias, so be mindful to let your data determine your approach in light of what’s working, as well as what’s not.
- Take a deeper dive into your 2018 digital advertising campaign performances. What worked? What didn’t work? How can you improve those efforts.
- How can you get better insights into the performance of your digital ad campaigns or the campaigns you are running for your clients? Optimization is the key to a successful ad campaign with high ROI.
- Targeting and measuring are continuing to improve. Check in with your providers and ad agencies to see how they are dialing their services in, and how you can use that information to grow and track your plan. Look for ad agencies that provide clearer reporting.
Resolution #3: Try a new form of digital advertising.
If there’s anything we’ve learned in 2018, it’s that the customer journey is continuing to transform and evolve.
- We predict 2019 will be the year that over-the-top (OTT) technology and advertisers are ready for each other.
- OTT advertising delivers impressions in a TV-like environment, but with a higher engagement rate spurred from digital capabilities like targeting. Since OTT viewers actively select the show they want to see at the most convenient time for them to watch, they are less distracted and they’re not channel-surfing.
- Additionally, unlike cable, OTT offers new and better opportunities for audience targeting, allowing for more efficient delivery of ads to a selected audience set. If you’re a TV ad buyer, you can’t skip adding OTT advertising to your sales portfolio as a part of your comprehensive media strategy in 2019.
Don’t sit this one out! Putting these resolutions into play will deliver many benefits. But the longer you wait, the more advertisers will be in the mix. Create and seize opportunities now for maximum impact this year.
Here’s to a successful 2019!
Media companies and advertisers have to be open to dynamic collaborations and partnerships with digital providers. As video storytelling evolves alongside viewer consumption habits and technology, successful TV revenue models in 2019 will leverage the combined powers of linear and OTT and provide advertisers with relevant metrics to measure impact.
For advertisers and marketers looking to access cutting-edge marketing technology, ZypMedia promises the full package. Not only do we help media companies, advertisers, marketers, and media companies plan and execute their digital advertising campaigns, we also help prevent ad fraud by giving our clients real-time reports.
Learn more about the OTT universe by subscribing to our email newsletters.